Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reflections of a 24-Hour Hermit

I did not receive visitors yesterday. 

On Saturday night, my son's elementary school held its annual fundraiser and I was one of the many foot soldiers who, over the past four months, helped bring the night to fruition. It was a success. But I woke up Sunday morning absolutely shattered. So I decided I needed to spend Monday on a self-imposed retreat.

After Luca left for school, the front gate was locked, the phone ringer was turned down and I put a temporary moratorium on the computer. The camera was allowed, for verification purposes only.

Here's what I did:

1. Sat in the refuge of my garden with with a Gulliver-sized teapot of Earl Grey beside me and sipped at leisure.

2. Finally finished Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader, In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, Down the Garden Path by Beverley Nichols and Looking Back by Shusha Guppy.  (I had only a chapter or so to go on each.)

3. Flirted with beginning Julia Strachey's Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, Leonard Woolf's The Wise Virgins, Francoise Sagan's Bonjour Tristesse, and Green Grows the City by Beverley Nichols.

4. Toppled into bed at noon. 

5. Woke from a deep sleep at 1:30pm to the chirping of birds.

6. Made myself a great simple sandwich.  Roast turkey, Jarlsberg cheese, sprouted pea shoots and baby arugula on a buttered crown roll.

7. Discovered some forgotten chocolate in the kitchen pantry. Ate it.

8. Went on a trip through my bookshelves. Lost track of time.

9. Concocted an afternoon cocktail: iced Campari mixed with San Pellegrino Aranciata and a sprig of mint. For some reason, those ingredients brought Gore Vidal's home in Italy to mind, so I hereby dub it a "Ravello Restorative."

10. Cobbled together this post.

30 comments:

erin said...

hello heaven?! That sounds like a WONDERFUL day and use of time. The next time I find myself home alone with no kids and nothing too too pressing to tend to, I'm going to take a page from your book. Literally & figuratively. Reading in the garden, with a good drink and no telephone. Ah, I feel more relaxed just thinking about it! Good call.

Anonymous said...

Now I want to be there!!!
What a great Kermit...Hermit you are! Love your life, XX,C.

Scott Fazzini said...

The chicest hermit to ever have enjoyed such a lovely relaxing day. Well deserved, and well documented!

pve design said...

Maison do "Hermitage"
I love days like this, they seem to be priceless.
I do hope that when a moment of solace comes my way that a book of yours will be amongst the stack of plenty.
pve

Lee said...

Everybody needs days like this once every so often to re-energise the mind & body. Your day sounds like it was bliss!

A Super Dilettante said...

What a lovely post to allow us to have a glimpse of your life in a day. Looking Back by Shusha Guppy - such a great book! It is one of the books that I must have had beside my bed. Highlights are Anita Brookner's introduction, her interview with Diana Mosley (Guppy's description of Mosley's house is beautiful but Diana's recalling her acquaintance with Hitler left me shocked and astounded) and Frances Partridge.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

The perfect day! I LOVE bonjour tristesse -you have to see the movie from 1958 after reading the book as well!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I bet it was a huge success. I have had an event hangover or two in my day - seems this was the perfect cure.

(Good thing the phone was unplugged as I'm sure people were calling with "follow up" questions.)

Arya Kamath said...

Sounds like a lovely day. You have a wonderful way with words. I love reading all your posts.

Laura said...

I cannot even tell you how perfect that day sounds. Right down to the campari cocktail. Stroke of genius using the san pellegrino by the way...I used to stick with campari, gin and orange juice but your concoction sounds much more delicious.

Glenda said...

Aaaahhhh a well deserved self indulged break. What better way to unwind then to put yourself in cruise mode and forget the world exist around you. Love those days.


Ciao

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Didn't you just love An Uncommon Reader??

hello gorgeous said...

Nicely done!

That Campari concoction sounds right up my alley (am on a major Campari kick right now).

Great book recommendations, as well (well, technically you didn't recommend them, but many sound good).

hello gorgeous said...

P.S. Forgotten chocolate?

Never heard of such a thing...

KBS said...

It sounds like an excellent day. I am a fan of Daim. I get large bags of the small pieces at IKEA.

Leah said...

What an absolutely wonderful day!

Claire said...

Sounds fabulous! For another great aperativo try Aperol with prosecco and a splash of soda water and plenty of ice - I've just got back from Italy and have sipped them every evening pre-dinner. Delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh sounds and looks lovely.

(but yes, forgotten chocolate? Is this possible?)

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Claire: I've been hearing about that combination...there is always a bottle of Prosecco chilling in our fridge, so I'll try it tonight!

Annie Crowninshield said...

perfection!

Prairie Girl Studio said...

sigh ... very, very nice ...

i feel a hermit day coming on ~ thanks!

prairiegirl

Draffin Bears said...

What a wonderful day!

Reading in the garden, sipping tea and just getting away from everything is so good and everyone needs to do that sometimes.

Enjoy your day
Carolyn

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Thank you to everyone for posting such insightful and understanding comments...:) I firmly espouse the joys of occasional seclusion to regenerate, restore and revitalize!

Anonymous said...

Its a perfect day!!!!

Suzy said...

Sounds like the PERFECT day!

Anzu said...

Lovely. I am working hard on a project at the moment and just can't wait to spend a day like this! Cocktails, books, and no computers - perfect.

Dee Dee Hannah said...

what lovely photos!

You have a wonderful library

A Cat's Life said...

Don't you have a job?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin