Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm Laughing Now, But...

You know how sometimes it's just not your day? Well, today was definitely not mine.

I spilled espresso on my favorite skirt this morning, went to return something at a shop and got my car towed, took a taxi to Godknowswhere and paid an exorbitant price to regain custody of it, dashed back across town to pick up my son after school only to find out that my carpool parent had mistakenly already done so, then took Luca to the supermarket where he promptly wandered away, leading the store manager to issue an alert, only to discover him in the cereal aisle staring dumbstruck at the supersized box of Cocoa Pebbles.

When we finally arrived home at 6pm, I promptly locked all the doors and battened down the hatches to make sure I couldn't possibly get in any more trouble for one day. 

My heart was racing.

But then I looked outside and saw the bougainvillea...

...and the gnome waiting patiently for a swim...

...and Percy the sheep...

...and Twiglet...

...and Fellini...

...and -- I cannot lie -- the Campari...
...and then Luca started practicing his guitar (without me even asking)...

...and I began to relax. I think I needed a day like this one to remind myself to appreciate all the others. Believe me, if I wake up tomorrow and manage to get out of bed in one piece, I will consider it a success already.

(Although as The Divine Italian once said, "You know you're not in your twenties anymore when you can actually hurt yourself sleeping.")

Be careful out there.

16 comments:

pve design said...

Sounds to me like a day of "Straight Jacket Memoirs" and some heavy metal listening are in order. My sons and I love to play heavy metal with the windows rolled down and then proceed to see if any of their classmates would like a ride home? We always get a good laugh. Remember, these days make the good one's seem so monotonous.
pve

vicki archer said...

I know those days only to well but isn't life grand when with only one sleep it can all turn around, xv.

Tod Abrams said...

Poor dear - day from hell! I hope dove head-first into a very dry Martini.

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

there's no place like home, there's no place like home. we are lucky to have sanctuary-isn't that what it's all about? g

Claire Stansfield said...

which store has the giant size coco pebbles?
teehee
c

A Super Dilettante said...

So sorry to hear that you had one of those days. But I'm glad that you have lovely things that cheer you up! Fellini the cat! What a fantastic name for a cat. I adore cats (although I'm allergic to them). While I've been off sick from work, I find consolation in books. I just finished reading a beautiful book by Rachel Cusk's The Last Supper - A summer in Italy on my rocking chair. It's absolutely magnificent. Her writing is elegant and artistic - not like usual travel writing. You would love it.

Susan's Snippets said...

Lisa -

On this day after...I am hoping that only good will be put upon you and yours.

with plenty of purrs

Mrs. Blandings said...

I've always assumed bougainvillea would fix anything. But that could be because I only see it on vacation. Today is bound to be better.

Laura said...

Your home is truly fulfilling its purpose...sounds like a wonderful sanctuary for all those who pass the threshold.

Glenda said...

Oh Gosh what a day you had.

I had to laugh out loud at the wise Italian, it's so, so true........


Ciao

Mary said...

It's a talent to be able to put it all in perspective....but I have to admit I would have gone straight for the Tequila. Loved your "boyfriends" comment !

Scott Fazzini said...

Life is a doll, even when she's throwing a few obstacles our way. You're so good to remind us.

erin said...

sounds like an adult version of 'alexander and the terrible horrible no good very bad day'... at least it was your own life and home that calmed you down, not daydreaming of Australia!

Anonymous said...

I have those type of days too, my answer is a large pink gin!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

To quote Uncle Willie from The Philadelphia Story:.....

"...this is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin