Saturday, January 11, 2014

Straight Outta Antwerp

Apartment o1 at Boulevard Leopold was like a feature out of the World of Interiors. I almost prayed for some kind of cataclysmic weather event that would keep us trapped there forever. 
Those silvery green walls.
That opulent beaded chandelier. 
The antlers reaching yearningly from the wall like the outstretched hands in Jean Cocteau's 1946 surrealist fantasy La Belle et La Bete. 
It gripped my heart.
It doesn't matter what your favorite design style is, I promise you if you walk into this room all you will think is, "I'm home."
(All photos by Lisa Borgnes Giramonti.)

The apartment's enormous windows looked onto Boulevard Leopold in the heart of the city's old Jewish Quarter. The owner, Martin, has furnished it in keeping with the city's Art Nouveau history. The green blur on the velvet sofa is my son -- he didn't want to leave the room either.


Our bedroom had painted murals, another beaded chandelier and more of those magical gray-green walls. The black velvet pillows added decadent punctuation points to the stark whiteness of the bed. 

Down a little corridor was Luca's bedroom. History Lesson: Old houses in Antwerp were built on different levels, so when residences were joined together, homeowners solved the issue of different floor heights by building these delightful M.C Escher staircases everywhere -- you're continually going up into one room, down into the next. 

You can see our bedroom at the top of the stairs.

Eventually, we tore ourselves away from the hotel. The oldest part of the city was only about a fifteen minute walk, but it was easy to lose yourself wandering through the narrow cobblestoned side streets. Mick Jagger's design wisdom loomed. "I see a red door and I want it painted black," I kept humming to myself. "No colors anymore I want them to turn to black."



These 16th century skyscrapers flank the Grote Market and were built by the guild houses of Antwerp. Each building vied to be the most impressive, hence the variation in height and rhythm...and those fabulous golden ornaments on top. "I'm prettier! No, I'm prettier!" (The mother in me: "You're ALL pretty.")

On the streets, it was wet and cold and the locals' garb conjured up visions of "The French Lieutenant's Woman. " Once inside, however, people would peel off their monastic shrouds to reveal a kaleidoscopic wardrobe worthy of local hero Dries van Noten.

That's Antwerp to me in a nutshell.
Outside, cold, gray, forbidding.
Inside, a Fabergé egg of splendors.

Once you start to approach the old part of the city, all "straats"  lead to the cathedral. It dominates the silhouette entirely. In case you were wondering, the tower "points toward God like a finger."

Can 2014 please be the year we bring back big knobby ornamental hardware?
The combination of that elegantly carved wood with those primitive iron studs is titillating--like a duchess dating a blacksmith.

Travel Note: When you travel with two males, it is VITAL that you build in frequent treat stops. This can make or break your vacation. Blood sugar levels must be maintained at a constant level, especially if your wish list includes any shopping. Frituur No. 1, considered to have the best french fries in Antwerp, was a hit. Bonus: twenty kinds of ketchup. The curry-flavored one demanded refills.

The male mood restored, we were museum-bound.  I figured I had a good two hours before my comrades took a downward turn. As it turned out, the places we visited  -- The Plantin-Moretus, the Rubenshuis, former home of Peter Paul Rubens, and the Mayer van den Burgh -- earned an enthusiastic two thumbs up from everyone. Luca loved the M. C. Escher staircases, Piero was mesmerized by the kitchens and I loved every square inch of everything.

What's not to love about a room upholstered in leather? 

And walls of silk? (This is what I mean by Antwerpian interiors feeling like jewel boxes.)

And velvet-curtained four poster beds?  I always thought the beds were so short because people were more petite. Turns out that, in Antwerp anyway, people slept sitting up because it was believed much more beneficial for the digestion. 

If we're bringing back knobby ornamental doors, then we have to bring back rugs on tables too.

If someone asked me for the ingredients of an Antwerpian interior, I would write down these words on a piece of paper and hand it to them:

Leather.
Gilt.
Sensuality.
Brass. 
Stone.
Darkness.
Velvet.
Warmth.
Mystery.
Glamour.
Incense.
Oil paint.
Red brick.
Candlelight.

My husband Piero was besotted with this stove. His dream is to have a hearth like this in our kitchen one day--which of course is so über practical for our Los Angeles climate.


At night the hipsters came out to play. 

 We walked home through streets glistening with rain...

...and discovered that our room was even more enchanting by night. 

The next morning, we headed downstairs for breakfast. 

Antwerp is moody in the morning. 

We ate in a garden room with red-topped tables and wooden settles upholstered in green leather. 

Eat, I urged my men. Keep those blood sugar levels steady. Mama wants to do some serious perambulating today. 

While they ate, I took photos of Flemish leather-bound books,  preserved butterflies, religious iconography...

...and curiosities under glass. You know, the things one normally take photos of.

Here's Martin. He owns this incredible joint. He shyly told me that Mario Testino had shot a fashion shoot there recently (in our very hotel room no less). Well, of course he did, Martin! Your table tableaux alone are enough to merit a magazine cover.


Honestly, is there anything sexier than a dark morning? They're so strangely creative. 

The most sunlight we saw the entire time we were there was at the Cathedral of Our Lady. Somehow, the exterior gloom, when filtered through those glorious Gothic windows, transformed itself to heavenly light inside. 

If we're bringing back knobby ornamental doors and rugs on tables, can we also bring back dusky medieval jewel tones like brown sapphire, smoky topaz, ruby and carnelian?

After the cathedral, we made a quick fuel stop at La Confiserie Burie, one of the countless candy stores that appear at least once on every block in Antwerp. 

Once purchased, this hapless little frog prince didn't stand a chance.

If you go to Antwerp, be sure to take a walk along the river Scheldt. 


A few minutes walk from the Scheldt is the most important new museum in Antwerp right now, the Red Star Line Museum. (It opened in September 2013.) The Red Star Line was the sister company of the White Star Line, owner of the ill-fated Titanic. If you wanted to emigrate to America or Canada in the last 2oo years and you didn't leave through Southampton, your trip started in a warehouse in Antwerp.

Below is a vignette of a first class passenger's experience--not all people experienced a privileged crossing like this. In the museum, we passed through former showers, interrogation rooms and medical inspection areas. If you made it across the ocean and the Ellis Island inspectors deemed you unfit (lice, a stubborn cough, etc.), they sent you back to Antwerp at the Red Star Line's expense. 

It was haunting, it was inspiring, and I highly, highly recommend you visit it if you ever can.  

And that was it.
Our two days and nights went by in a flash.

When we arrived at Antwerpen-Centraal to catch a train to Brussels where we would transfer to the Eurostar, workers were setting up this gigantic purple slide. If only our train had left thirty minutes later! 

Next stop: London.

29 comments:

Lily said...

Splendid Renaissance Darkness of Antwerp!
(scribbled in black ink on vellum by candlelight)
What a treat to read this post on a rainy Saturday night, your vignettes a series of gorgeous still lifes...armchair travelling at its best!

Lynne Rutter said...

What a wonderful visit and didn't you find the most gorgeous place to stay! I've always wanted to go to Antwerp, so many of my favorite artists were from there.

kim at northerncalstyle. said...

Love this so much! I was in Belgium this summer with my two boys and husband. We were in Bruges and fell in love with everything - the food, the buildings and the people. (Wrote a post on my blog about it if you haven't been.) On the way to Amsterdam, we stopped in Antwerp to change trains. Unbelievably beautiful station! My boys would have been thrilled to ride that slide. Wish we had more time to spend in Belgium.

This hotel is beautiful and I love the candles at breakfast! A gem for sure!

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to read the rest of your trip. We also took the Eurostar from London. It's the best.

Happy weekend! Kim

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

Just too good I can't stand it. I really need to go now...

domesticgoddess said...

My husband and I fell in love with Antwerp during our first visit in 2003. This summer we hope to return with our two daughters. You post has made me all the more excited to this treasure of a city. We stayed at a wonderful hotel called De Witte Lelie and I was hoping to stay in a place similar to what you found this time around but didn't know where to begin. Now I know exactly where to book us this summer. Many thanks.

WMM said...

Love thus Lisa! Martin' s place is a wonder!

Lisa said...

incredible! thank you

Susan Telfer said...

I live on the west coast of Canada and these finishes and colours seem right for our dark, rainy climate. Thanks for posting these pictures. So much of what I see in magazines is suited for hotter, sunnier climates, and that doesn't always look right here.

Frances said...

What glorious places you saw, and fully appreciated, during your Antwerp stay. Your photographs have encouraged me to suggest Antwerp as a travel destination for quite a few friends who are pointing at various places on the globe.

I admit that I will also be looking into traveling to Antwerp. Many thanks. xo

home before dark said...

Loved this as much as I thought I would. My late MIL was the first to put a rug on a table. I still find that look enchanting.

Every photo looks like a glorious painting. I particularly like the glistening night street scene.

Hausfrau said...

Loving this! I've heard such good things about Antwerp and really hope to visit soon. I can see why you'd have a hard time leaving that gorgeous apartment, but I guess the pull of so many lovely sights (and snacks--my dudes are the same way!) was enough to draw you outdoors.

katiedid said...

Sigh....I m living vicariously here. We may add this city to our itinerary for our trip next year. It is on the way from Amsterdam to Paris after all!

Thanks for all of the beautiful pictures!

Julie said...

Can we talk about those FLOORS??!!! Beyond.

jen said...

I have to admit, Antwerp has never been on my list of European cities to visit, but looking at your post, I've completely changed my mind. Moody, gorgeous interiors, art and architecture, plus french fries? Checks off all of my vacation requirements.

Jacqueline said...

These photos are stunning and give a great sense of the mood and atmosphere. I have travelled through many places in Europe (most of all France) but have yet to visit Belgium. Now it's on my list!
I must suggest that you consider going to Krakow at some point. I have a strong feeling that you would really love it there.

florabritannia said...

Oh, I LOVE Antwerp! After our first weekend visit we holidayed there 3 years in a row; it just got under our skin. For anyone travelling with family, it is a very child-friendly city, easy to navigate (trams and buses are easy to use) and on a very human scale, with tons of cultural activities and museums. MAAS is one of the newest and is a treasure-trove, with great views from the roof!

Nachtegalenpark is wonderful, has a delightful gallery, sculpture park, lots of open space and the wonderful Melkerij where you can sip a beer (or coffee!) and people-watch whilst your children rampage around the adventure playground attached to it. We also visited Lier, which is a beautiful little town close by, yet off the tourist track with some very interesting shops & museums, as well as its own beer and cake! When we visited we had townsfolk approaching us to thank us for visiting, which was delightful.
I could wax lyrical about this stylish, friendly part of the world all day long. I hope lots of you will visit.

debbie bailey said...

Well, that was a delightful tour of a place I've never even considered visiting. I, too, love all those muted colors and candlelight. I've always loved the Dutch Masters paintings especially when they include a black and white tile floor!

The Swede said...

Waffles, coffee, a piece of chocolate for breakfast . Fries, but with mayonnaise for lunch. Then packing my bags and off to Antwerp. I'm homesick for Belgium and I'm not Belgian.

laura Madalene said...

Gorgeous!!!! Every angle of this room has beautiful interest and appeal and a comfortable welcoming feel! LOVE that fun blue chair and the rustic, animal themed accessories. Great workSmart Building Solution

Thomas at My Porch said...

I am a big fan of Antwerp. It was the surprise hit of my first (and so far only trip) to Belgium. Being a bibliophile, I particularly liked the Plantin-Moretus.

gorgeousevents said...

hey lisa, antwerp seems really cool ! love the hotel ! i have a cousin who lives in ghent and is constantly asking me "when will you come to visit us in ghent ? after seeing this post and google mapping the distance to antwerp....not far....looks like i may visit this spring ;-).....love ghent anyway but you've given me another reason to visit belgium again.

noreen said...

hello lisa! i read that like a book, and enjoyed every minute. it reminded me of artist jan vermeer and some old jan steen. the light was so dramatic. happy travels to you, n

Lisa Bruce said...

I love your blog!! So beautiful - it feels like a fantasy but you write about the real world. You are an artist with your words, images and thoughts.
Thank you!
Lisa

Lisa Bruce said...

I love your blog! Your create what feels like fantasy but you write about what's real. You are wonderful with words, images and thoughts.
Thank you !
Lisa

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Absolute perfection, all of it.

Uhu work said...

Many peoples want to earn money on internet without any investment but there is many online jobs which have many investments. Now you can earn without any investment with Just clicking and Earn daily upto 10 Dollars.
Join this Best opportunity to make money online without any investment or Charges.
HotProClicks.com

Uhu work said...

Make Money Online Without any work, You can Invest as low as 1$ Dollar to 100$ Dollars and Get Daily profit of 2.50% for 90 Days.
Minimum Withdraw 1 and Instant Payout with PayPal, EgoPay and Perfect Money
Join Now
http://www.hotfxearnings.com/

fabricgenie said...



The Blog seems to be very interesting i really gather lot of information about the Decor information

apparel and Fashion

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin