Monday, October 22, 2012

How Do You See Your Life?

Do not underestimate the power of a rose-colored perspective. I bought these glasses back when I was a New Yorker and recently started wearing them again.

Below, a before-and-after story.


1. Before rose-colored glasses:

Piero: It's 7:30. Shouldn't you be waking Luca up for school?
Me: (dawning horror) Huh? Whuh? Whaaaa?!!!!


After rose-colored glasses:

Piero: It's 7:30. Shouldn't you be waking Luca up for school?
Me: (blissfully stretching) All in good time, my man. Sleep is doubly delicious when it's stolen.

2. Before rose-colored glasses:

Me: Traffic. Ugh.


After rose-colored glasses:

Me: Luca, my dearest, it's time to set out on our daily trek through the quaint old Woods of Holly. 
(Yes. It's real. Here.)

3. Before rose-colored glasses:

Me: Please coffee kick in kick in kick in kick in kick in. 


After rose-colored glasses:

Me: The best ideas come to those who wait. I shall now meditate on the fact that time is my friend, not my enemy. 



4. Before rose-colored glasses:

Me: I haven't gotten any emails in over five minutes. Wonder what everybody's doin'?

After rose-colored glasses:

Me: My writing time is sacred. Please leave a message after the beep. 


5. Before rose-colored glasses:

Me: I'm exhausted. That coffee did zilch for me.  Gather. Breathe. Focus. We're out of milk, eggs and white wine vinegar. Whoa--and why-- am I hungry? Gather. Breathe. Focus. Is that a police helicopter buzzing overhead? Do I have time to run to the grocery store before I pick Luca up from school?  Still need to mail those bills.  I want motorcycle boots. Ooh look a squirrel. GATHER BREATHE FOCUS!!

After rose-colored glasses:

Me: Every day in every way I am getting better and better. 
(The uber cool Daisy Garnett by Simon Brown. Here and here.)

25 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So how much do you want for those glasses?

Jessica Thor-Miller said...

Whatever Pamela offers you, I'll double it!

I feel this way (pre-glasses state) every day. Thank you for this reminder that one's perception should always remain in check!

MT

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

First time commenter, but always had been an admirer. This is so so apt for a Monday morning. And yes, those stolen 10 minutes of sleep today morning were very delicious :)

Neha.

Tricia Rose Rough Linen said...

Pollyanna lives! I need to wear rose-coloured glasses right away, with applications of coffee or wine at appropriate booster moments. I bet this adorable persona would be more effectual than my current grunts and snarls.

Gerry Snape said...

I like that positive idea!!...those woods look mightily llke some up in the Lake District!!?

Joanna said...

Love this post in every way. x

Joanna said...

I love this post in every way.

Bonnie said...

We all need a pair of rose colored glasses.

pve design said...

Lisa,
I think rose colored glasses and bells on my slippers will be on my holiday wish list~
pve

kim at northerncalstyle. said...

Lisa,
Loved this! Just what I need right now! I'll spend the rest of my week in those glasses.

Loved A Little Bird site too. What an amazing family they must have.

Kim

Sandra Sallin said...

So funny. Just started blogging and my husband commented that the refrigerator looked like it was brand new. Empty. Lovely smile on my face.

Oh, that Farmhouse looks like heaven. A beautiful vision. Have you actually been there? Is it real?

Beautiful Things - Cathy said...

Love it! You're so right, it's so much better to look on life with rose tinted glasses. x

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

haha and so true. you could make a mint on 'that tint!' pgt

Lola Zabeth said...

What a lovely perspective, I couldn't agree more. Likewise I've began referring to "lunch" as "luncheon." Sounds much more interesting, yes?

Love the blog, btw ;)

lsellers said...

Hilarious! Love the last picture - complete with the baby on the floor.

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

Really enjoyed this! And know, only too well, exactly what you mean .....

debbie bailey said...

You come up with the most original blog posts! Fun stuff!

AVY said...

I'll take New York over Hollywood any day.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Love your blog...so fun and creative!

Love, Jamie Herzlinger

noreen said...

before rose colored glasses: i'm spending my weekend writing report cards!
after: ah, sitting in front of the fire in my comfy clothes is lovely.

that was a lovely (and really funny) post. i hope the coffee finally kicked in. maybe you need a double espresso?

Anonymous said...

As ever, a very thoughtful reminder of the importance of perspective. A timely one at that. Thank you.

24 Corners said...

My rose colored glasses must have a chat with your rose colored glasses...they are turning a bit peachy!
xo J~

Unknown said...


landscaping walnut creek

Wearing rose colored glasses makes you see the world in different color. Love reading your inspiring blog.

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

I shoulda gone to Specsavers

Unknown said...

It is your colourful blog that brings me a lot of knowledge about living. 
| Toko Baju Online
| Reseller Baju

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin