Monday, November 29, 2010

Weighty Matters

Happy post-Thanksgiving Monday, everyone.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this.
("A Voluptuary Under the Horrors of Digestion", James Gillray, 1792)

We spent the holiday in town with friends...

...and had an evening filled with revelry, laughter and succumbing to all and sundry temptations. I wish I could say I showed some restraint when it came to the chestnut stuffing and the pecan pie, but I think I came close to rivaling Fanny Hill in the lack-of-resolve department.

I was soon to discover that Mistress Fate wields a heavy hand.

Getting dressed Sunday morning, everything I put on appeared to have undergone massive shrinkage.

Part of me clung to the slim hope that my cleaning lady had accidentally washed my entire wardrobe on "extra hot." The other part of me knew all too well the reason why .

Long story short, today is the dawn of a new era.

Goodbye, corn pudding. Hello broiled grapefruit, poached chicken and melba toast.

Bonjour, increased heart rate.


It may not be all fun and games.

But come December, there will be so much to look forward to.


Note: All book covers and illustrations via this fabulous website I found this weekend that sent me hurtling down a rabbit hole.

15 comments:

Reggie Darling said...

An absolutely delightful, and very clever, post! I loved the book covers, and can certainly identify with the sentiments raised! I'm afraid it will take more than the 45 minutes I just spent on the elliptical trainer to erase what I "took on" in the last four days...

pve design said...

Turkey busters to the rescue....good luck with getting back on track. Love the collection of images along with your words. A salad compose shall be on my menu today along with a hearty workout.
pve

Dianne said...

This post was very entertaining. i laughed out loud at the first picture. How clever of you but then, I have come to expect such wit and wisdom for this blog.
xoxo

Mrs. Blandings said...

I don't believe a word of it and think you must look as wonderful as always. Mr. B has a similar thought about the washing when jeans don't fit. I usually just go along.

DM said...

So THAT'S why I could barely bend over to tie up my polo boots this morning! It made for a very "interesting" ride...

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Okay, now you've gone and done it.
Nero officially wants to BE you.
Perhaps you could send along a recipe, a pomade, a poultice that would help this magnificent transformation take effect.
Pleez tell me you'll be at the Blogger conference in LA come February.
I will not rest until I worship at your altar.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It's oh so difficult to reside in The Land of the Thinsies this time of the year! Having spent the last few days in the land of pumpkin pie, I shall be joining you in salad days this week. Sigh.

Cathi said...

What a wonderfully creative post! I, too am feeling the "too much Thanksgiving" spread. It was definitely enjoyable though. xxoo :)

24 Corners said...

Lisa...you were reading my mind (and must have been viewing my dressing room)! Yesterday I was also slightly horrified by the "shrinkage" that had occured in my household...I was seriously wondering how I was going to make it to Christmas and still have something to wear! The holiday food (pies, gravy, left over turkey turned into the most delectabley rich cream of turkey soup I'd ever had, that I've enjoyed the last three nights, etc...) was so good this year and our weather so cold, that I found myself eating much more than was good for my wardrobe.

So last night I had determined that salad was going to be Monday's main course...But now, I'm trying to figure out how in the world do you enjoy a Cobb without the bacon, avocado & blue cheese!

I wish I liked grapefruit...
xo J~

the designers muse said...

Very Cute...loved the first illustration.

24 Corners said...

Protein shake...egg, toast with tomatoes...pumpkin pie (slip), white cheddar cheese-its (slip), cottage cheese with apple...nuts (kind of a slip)...tea.

Tomorrow will be better...no pie it's all gone now! (It was a second one made Friday because we liked the first one so much...which was consumed completely)!
xo J~

Rocio said...

Awesome!! I am still laughing!!
Well, enjoy your juice days and get ready for the Christmas gluttony - I will join you in that one :)

artdecodiamonds said...

We love the Vintage look!

https://www.artdecodiamonds.com/products.php?id=2375&l=0&u=2147483647&sortway=desc

This ring is a great vintage ring!

L said...

I love the name Eiluned (of Honey Pots and Brandy Bottles).

*Chic Provence* said...

very clever and oh-so-true!! thanks for the smiles and for the great site!

Kit

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin