Thursday, November 11, 2010

Drool. Three Times.


1. What if The Selby met The Sartorialist?

Artist/photographer Jeana Sohn goes into the homes of some of LA's most creatively dressed women to show you exactly where the magic happens. The "Closet Visit" section of her eponymous blog (look on her sidebar) gives you a lush, revealing glimpse into the personal collections that define each woman's finely honed sense of style. It's fascinating to see them in their personal spaces wearing some of their favorite finds -- they all have a sexy confidence that comes from knowing exactly who they are and what they love to wear. And the colors and textures and patterns...oh my! I could go on, but here's the bottom line: It's gotten to the point where I wait impatiently for each weekly "Closet Visit." I think you will too.

(Deborah Kaplan)

(closet of Heather Taylor)

(Clare Vivier)

(Simone LeBlanc)

(Heather Taylor)

(Joanna Williams)

(Deborah Kaplan)

(closet of Heather Taylor)



2. What if the world of travel met "The World of Interiors"?

Travel editor Meghan McEwan is perpetually planning her next trip and we are all the luckier for it. Her new blog Designtripper sprang to life because in her words, "Having spent an exorbitant amount of time researching interesting, independent places to stay, it seemed like a terrible waste not to share the findings."

Designtripper is Meghan's mouthwatering compendium of places to stay around the globe that fulfill her stringent credo of being authentic, thoughtfully designed and rich in character. From a refurbished village schoolhouse in Belgium to the Scottish lodge where Orwell wrote "1984" or to a houseboat in India, you'll be overwhelmed by the far flung splendor of her discoveries. I want to stay at every place she writes about (actually, I did stay at one -- she profiled my recent stay in Scotland here.)

More Meghan: "People who are passionate about travel tend to have open minds and really good stories. And generally speaking, people are nicer when they're on vacation. I'd like to inspire people to be nicer."

Isn't that a lovely ideology?

3. What if the immaculate love child of Karl Lagerfeld and Tony Duquette met a Goth-Baroque time traveller?

I'm at a loss for adjectives here. If you have ever clicked on Lauren Tennenbaum's brilliant blog Indecorous Taste, you'll know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, well, I'll attempt a description.

Lauren is a pale medieval beauty with the willowy proportions of a Boldini muse. At her seemingly tender age, she is not only an avant-garde shoe and accessories designer (a crystal spine harness, anyone?) but also a decorative painter, interiors stylist and all-around one-woman show. From what I can glimpse from her lushly opulent photos, she lives in some sort of baroque dream palace where she unswervingly devotes herself to pursuing her unique brand of eccentric glamour and living out her "latent Imperialist fantasies." I am admiringly - and heartstoppingly - agog.

14 comments:

Jane said...

That Miss Tennenbaum is like someone from a different era. Or from a fairytale like a woodland sprite. So glad she can show us all her beautiful things. xoxo

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

love design tripper, bewen watching it for a little while. the opther two are new, looking forward to checking them out! thanks

Rocio said...

Wow !!!! all of them!!

Alessandra said...

so inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Sensible Footwear said...

These are stunning images - so inspiring.

I want to be on the boat in Kerala under that moody sky. And then I'll try all the others!

Also - I really like the note struck with Meghan's McEwan's line - "I'd like to inspire people to be nicer."
That's a lovely sentiment.

Sitting In A Tree Kissing said...

I really think this is the best post I've seen in a long time!! What great combinations. All amazing.

home before dark said...

I was one of Lauren's first readers. That girl has some game...drenched in crystals and painted to the max. She is also very, very, very smart. Nice to hear the applause for her from here.

Angie Muresan said...

My goodness! I am drooling over your finds, Lisa. Absolutely will follow them. How can anyone not?

Sunday Taylor said...

I enjoy Jeana Sohn"s blog so much. And she is an extremely talented artist. I know some of the lovely young women she has profiled and they are very creative and inspiring people. I am especially a fan of Heather Taylor!

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

Oh my gosh, so many goodies! Thanks for sharing, Lisa!

lasninastextiles.com said...

Lovely blog.

Helen James said...

I am familiar with the wonderful miss tennenbaum's blog but not the previous two can't wait to take a look , the first one has me salivating already xxxx

Kate @ Savour Fare said...

Designtripper just lost me the rest of the day, if not the week. Armchair traveling at its finest!

Megan Taylor said...

Love Closet Visit! Love Jeana! Love Heather! Love this post! xoxo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin