Friday, October 1, 2010

Think Pink

Today marks the first day of National Breast Awareness Month and with it comes a sobering thought: Every 69 seconds, somewhere in the world a woman dies of breast cancer.
("Jane" by Sir Gerald Festus Kelly, 1924)

Here are a few things to consider today...


Early detection matters.

Getting regular mammograms if you're over 40 and remembering to do your monthly BSE (breast self-exam) can go a long way in taking helping us to take control of this disease one woman at a time.
("Speedy", Rudolf Schlichter, 1923)


Living right matters.

1. Decrease your daily fat intake.

2. Increase fiber in your diet.

3. Eat fresh fruit and vegetables.

4. Limit alcohol.

5. Stay active.

6. Don't smoke.
(The Duchess of Devonshire, 1990's, by Christopher Simon Sykes)


Getting involved matters.

There are so many ways to participate. You can sign up for an event to benefit the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (and get in shape in the process), you can help raise awareness among loved ones and those in your community, you can even become an activist and help others achieve important legislative goals.
("Damenknelpe Ladies Dive", Rudolf Schlichter,1923)


For more information on all of the above, click here, here or here.

Editor's Note: A big thank you to Mrs. Blandings for her entreaty to "post pink" today. Duly noted.

10 comments:

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

This is a lovely post -- just look at that Duchess go --and such an important issue.
Thanks for encouraging all of us to think pink.

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

Mrs. Blandings said...

Beautifully done, no surprise - thank you, thank you.

Splendid Sass said...

I wish every woman could see this post! Beautiful.
Teresa

pve design said...

I always am tickled pink with the way you capture and deliver a message. I sit up a bit taller and am so proud I am a girl. Let's hear it for the ta ta's!
pve

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My mammogram is next week! So important.

Karena said...

A most lovely posting to remind us all. I love it!

I too am posting pink today!

Karena
Art by Karena

katiedid said...

Your images are always so fabulous, and so are you! Thanks my dear.:)

So Lovely said...

Just lovely - I shall think pink today, wear pink today and be glad for all who found the dreaded C with early detection. And my thoughts will go to those who weren't able to defeat this horrific disease.

Mary said...

October is a double-edged sword - the good news is I remember how important all this is.....the bad news is - I remember. But I survived. Thank you.

Yvette said...

I'm a survivor too. Thanks for posting this.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin