Monday, April 27, 2009

Savage Garden

Last Friday, Luca's friend Jack came over after school. As soon as I opened the front door, their first words to me were, "We're hungry." (Note: There is no appetite as ferocious as that of a little boy. Not even The Divine Italian comes close.) 

I had baked some cardamom banana bread the day before, so I toasted some slices in my trusty Dualit and spread a thin layer of Nutella on them. (There were sliced pears involved, too. I'm not a total reprobate.) They gobbled everything down in a manner which, while not notable for its daintiness, was nevertheless entirely age-appropriate...

...and bolted into the miniature Narnia of our garden.

Moments later, I heard some loud "ribbits" and discovered two frogs engaged in a battle of belches by the pool.

Then the frogs morphed into brave knights and carefully threaded their way along the edge of a steep mountain precipice.

One of them had to negotiate his way over a fiery dragon-filled moat below. He barely made it.

Can you see the dragons? You can't? Me, either. I was told that's because "grownups can never see what's right in front of them." Interesting.

The other knight hung onto the edge of a steep crag by his fingertips for what seemed like hours and barely avoided a terrifying drop of eight inches.

Saturday was sunny and beautiful, so we didn't venture far from The Kenmore Arms. It would be very poetic to say that the drops of water on these plants came from dew...
 but I think it was the sprinklers.

We recently adopted a new gnome (after the tragic demise of our last one) and let him out in the garden so he could acclimate to his new surroundings. Luca thought the goggles would come in handy should he crave a late-night swim. 

Twiglet, our nervous vicar of a cat, retreated into the shade of a hedge and, despite Luca's cajoling, refused to come out until we resolutely ignored him. Then he sidled up next to us like he was Paris Hilton and we were paparazzi.

I had just settled down to read Wilkie Collins' "The Haunted Hotel" (amazing! compulsive! can't put it down!) and was enjoying the peace and quiet when this fearsome bear suddenly appeared.

I kept still as he prowled around my chair, sniffing out his territory. He made pawing motions at me and I gathered that he was attempting to communicate. 
He was. "Mom, I'm hungry."

14 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Completely charming.

Leslie said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaa....such a sweet and funny post. That Cardamom Banana Bread sounds deliciousssssss....hint hint ;-)
XX, Carmie.

CeCe said...

Beautiful. Your son is going to have the best memories of his childhood. What a gift.

Taking Notes said...

As has been said before; charming. Whenever I watch children at play I always feel nostalgic for my own childhood.

A Super Dilettante said...

Beautiful adventure and photos. I've never heard of Wilkie Collins' The Haunted Hotel. I must put this on my reading list. The woman in white by Wilikie is wonderful too.

Laura said...

Oh I adore it. This is how children are meant to play...outside and with limited props!

Glenda said...

What a wonderful childhood you are giving Luca. He'll have found memories.

Cian

Lee said...

A sunny afternoon, a rampant garden and two hungry little boys (or should that be frogs, knights and/or bears) - what a lovely mix. Luca is one lovely little fellow.

pve design said...

So what treats did you throw to the savage beast(s)
pve

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

A hunk of Jarlsberg cheese, an orange and a handful of Goldfish crackers, all of which were ravenously devoured...

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Just delightful.
Love the cat face in the shrubbery.

Susan's Snippets said...

Lisa...

Wonderfully documented for the Prince and, some day, the Prince’s offspring....to read.

time flies by with speed

bestoffrm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin