Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Miscellany

This week, instead of creating, I'm curating. 
Below, eight totally random things to boost your energy, tickle your brain, and fire up some of those adorable endorphins.

1. Turmeric. I love it in Indian food, but did you know it makes an incredibly delicious and healthy tea? (For a list of benefits, click HERE.) This one hits the sweet spot and has a earthy kick to it that's not unlike coffee.


Creamy Turmeric Tea
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (if you're timid, start with 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom or cinnamon
1 inch slice of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon honey 
8 oz. almond, coconut or soy milk

Mix first four ingredients together in a mug to form a thick paste. Heat the milk and then slowly pour it into the mug, stirring all the while. Strain out the ginger if you like, or leave it in for a more intense kick.


2. "New York Morning." This documentary/music video by English rockers Elbow is a paean to true love, punk music and NYC in the '70's. Plus the song is amazing. If you ever thought soul mates don't exist, you are about to be proven wrong. 


3. Waterlogue. This iPhone/iPad app has taken the design blogosphere by storm recently -- basically, it transforms any photo into the kind of stylish watercolor that you'd pay really good money to hang on your wall. I love what it does to the light in a room -- everything seems lit with an enchanted glow.


4. Have you ever wished a cute English guy would write a brilliant and heartfelt poem about how he appreciates girls with big books instead of girls with big boobs? Well, his name is Mark Grist and he has. HERE.


5. I discovered Stefan Zweig (1881-1942) about ten years ago and I think I would be hard pressed to name my three favorite authors and not include him. Part F. Scott Fitzgerald, part Freud, his stories are as seductive as they are haunting. If you're a Zweig virgin, start with Beware of Pity, a psychological boy-meets-girl horror story that reads like it was written in one long exhale. Make sure you get the editions from Pushkin Press -- they do his style justice.  
(Interesting tidbit: Wes Anderson loves Zweig too.)


6. I've always secretly thought the art and lifestyle of the Bloomsbury Group had a punk sensibility to it, so when my friend Vanessa Leigh Price forwarded me this video of Patti Smith sitting in Vanessa Bell's studio in Charleston House, I about keeled over. You will too. HERE.


7. This year marks the hundredth anniversary of World War One and I'm using that as a reason to plow through all the WWI novels I never got around to reading before. Richard Aldington's Death of a Hero was new to me and I loved it -- Aldington's prose is a mashup of Evelyn Waugh and George Orwell, with an armored cynicism to it that feels incredibly modern.


8. Charles Dickens as Morrissey. HERE. Leave it to BBC's brilliant "Horrible Histories" to turn a Victorian biography into compulsive viewing for kids and parents alike.


So what are you all up to this week?

xx/Lisa

20 comments:

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

I adore Horrible Histories so much! I even got the books...My fave though is the King Charles II and the Kate Bush send up of Queen Mary. PS You have to watch the sky arts Psycho women if you haven't already.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Coulda shoulda woulda:
I will have to watch those ASAP! My son and I are slowly working our way through the series, but a Kate Bush parody has me weak in the knees already!
And thanks for the Psycho Women on Sky Arts rec -- I'll see if I can stream that through my expat network. Xx

donna baker said...

I have a pile of books, a table top full of art projects and a ton of projects, but we are going to have a warm day today and I think I'll be outside.

punnery said...

Thanks for the book recommendations! Now I'm tempted to read more WWI novels this year as well. I didn't realize that it was the centennial.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

donna baker: That sounds like a perfect day.

Punnery: The Absolutist is also wonderful. It's by John Boyne, the author of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. And of course there are so many classics: All Quiet on the Western Front, Goodbye to all That, Mrs Dalloway, A Farewell to Arms, etc, etc.

The Fab Spot said...

Oh my goodness, I loved that poem about how much he loves a girl who reads! Sharing it with everyone I know!

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

The Fab Spot:
It rocks my world too.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for introducing me to Horrible Histories! I cannot wait to watch more. I will be trying the turmeric tea. I have a brand new big bottle of turmeric because I've been doing turmeric masks. Two TBSP chickpea/garbanzo flour mixed with 1 tsp of turmeric. And enough milk to make a thin paste. Wear for 15-20 minutes. It will get very hard. I remove it in the shower. Some people say it will leave your face a bit yellow, but this has not happened to me at all. You face will feel so smooth!

Veronica Roth said...

I love it. The Bloomsbury Charlestone living is the way I live; with books and art and everything deliberately chosen to be lovely and to inspire. I used to read all the horrible histories to the children, but didn't know they are also videos, (children are adults now). Will have to watch just for fun. :) This week I'm continuing work on the maps and painting on ephemera. Still loving it. :) Hope you have a lovely week ahead of you.

dervla kelly said...

oooh adding Stefan to my wish list right now. Next book i'll dive into after i emerge from the Goldfinch. What will i be up to this week? Trudging through the never-ending snow here in NYC and maybe watching some Horrible Histories?! Also, this week, inspired by your post, I'll do the opposite, instead of curating, i'll create :))

Lisa Thomson said...

Thanks for the interesting stuff! I love the video by Mark Grist-sweet. Another good WWI book is by Timothy Findley called "The Wars". Have a great week!

gorgeousevents said...

another amazing post miss lisa ! loved the new york morning video by elbow...took me back.....to a time when nyc really was the coolest place on earth........loved the video "girls who read"...Yay ! have just requested "Beware of Pity" at my local library.... there's already a waiting list !! And patti smith....i will always remember my grade 10 class and we were all asked to present our favourite poem...all of us played it safe and chose a classic but there was one girl in our class...the quiet 'bookish" one who stood in front of class (with her record player) and played a song from patti smith's album Horses (which had just come out)....no of us had ever heard....and I was completely in awe...sorry for the long comment ;-) xo

gorgeousevents said...

I second Lisa Thomson's suggestion Timothy Findley's "The Wars" :-)

Kathy said...

Thank you for the introduction to Horrible Histories! Serendipitous choice side-by-side with my own current book, "The Invisible Woman," about CD's relationship with Ellen Turnan. Among your WWI reading have you run into Paul Fussell's "The Great War and Modern Memory"?

And the poem about girls who read -- I'll be forwarding that to my daughter right away.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Emily:
I was reading about turmeric as a facial mask -- I shall try it now! thanks xx

Veronica Roth:
Your life sounds divine -- have a wonderfully creative and fulfilling week. And the HH videos are ALL incredible -- my son and I also love the one about all the King Georges. And the one about King Henry VIII's wives!

Dervla:
I CANNOT believe what is going on with the snow there!!! Man! And as for curating, you're one of the best I know! xx

Lisa Thomson:
Don't know that book -- will check it out, thanks!

gorgeousevents:
You can leave long posts anytime! I love everything you wrote about -- the girl in class playing Patti Smith (HOW COOL was she?!), and I'm so glad you liked that Elbow video. Isn't it just so magical?!
Thank you so much for your comment xx

Kathy:
I love Paul Fussell's "The War and Modern Memory" -- it was actually the FIRST book I bought on WWI a few years ago. I have a feeling that after I read all these period novels I'm going to want to read it again so I can wring even more meaning out of it.
Thanks for your comment xx



Linda said...

NYC in the 1970s. Downtown. CBGB. Gem's Spa. They remember wrong. The East Village was the East Village and the West Village was Greenwich Village. They were different. We lived on Third Avenue between the East and West Villages. Dangerous then. Gentrified now. Plusses and minuses. We saw one of Patti Smith's Rimbaud birthday shows on E. 14th Street in a building where silent movies had been made. The brother of Tommy the CBGB's bartender who lived upstairs drove us mad with Horses! Horses! Horses! thru the ceiling. Long ago and yesterday.

I do think Patti Smith at Charleston was just a tad precious.

Lisa said...

This is a bit of miscellany to add to your post, but have you seen these blank notebooks?
http://europeanpaper.com/product/brand/paperblanks/paperblanks-embellished-virginia-woolf-manuscript-wrap-journal-ppb5696/?oid=2745

I have the F.Scott Fitzgerald version and love it. Thought of you when I saw the Virginia Woolf title.

vicki archer said...

Wonderful recommendations... Thank you..
I love your idea of reading war works to mark the anniversary... I'm going to follow along...
Happy weekend... xv

laura Madalene said...

Absolutely stunning! And the courtyard - so dreamy! I think I've mentioned before that Phil did all the flowers for our wedding events. Although sadly I haven't been back in the store since then! I must get back sometime.
Modern Living Area Designed

Robert Sanderson said...

I love the Patti Smith film. Her B&W Land Camera images are lovely, very atmospheric....might have to try and buy one of those cameras and get myself back to Polaroids.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin