Wednesday, December 7, 2011

20 Great Gift Duos Under $100

Here you go.
Twenty suggestions to make your holiday shopping a little easier.

All under $100.
All picked with you and the people on your holiday list in mind.
And all still deliverable by Christmas if you act promptly.

xx/Lisa

(No need to exclude yourself, either. As 24 Corners commented, "I'm sending it around to family and friends as the perfect hint-hint.") Love that.



1. FOR THE TASTEFUL CONSUMER

(A calorically responsible treatise with gorgeous illustrations by Maira Kalman.
$16.28. HERE.)

PLUS

(The one-and-only Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David .
$22.95. HERE.)



2. FOR THE CHIC NESTER
(I own it. I love it.
$53.55. HERE.)

PLUS
(Set of two John Robshaw dish towels.
$30. HERE.)



3. FOR THE DOWNTON DEVOTEE

(Get your fix until Season Two premieres on January 8th.
$19.79. HERE.)

PLUS

(Ian Mankin grain sack tea towels.
$20 each. HERE.)



4. FOR THE CLASSIC COOK
(What's old is new again.
$7.22. HERE.)

PLUS

(Brown bread ice cream? Rose sorbet? Honey and fig frozen yogurt? Why not?
$59.95. HERE.)



5. FOR THE INCORRIGIBLE ANGLOPHILE
(A gritty history of London from the ground down.
$16.50. HERE.)

PLUS

(Berry Bros. and Rudd's much-heralded No. 3 London Dry Gin,
with notes of angelica, coriander and cardamom.
$34.99 HERE.
Learn about it HERE.)



6. FOR THE FANTASTICAL WANDERER
(Wonder, danger, and magic in Portland.
$11.30. HERE.)

PLUS

(Gold Sven clogs.
$78. HERE.)

OR

(Kids Adidas Retro Gazelles.
$45.00. HERE.)



7. FOR THE JUNIOR SLEUTH
(Take part in a thrilling - and secretive - adventure.
$14.28. HERE.)

PLUS

(Boy's winter brim cap.
Handy for when you need to be incognito.
$22.50. HERE.)

OR

(Girl's Selima sunglasses.
No one will bother you with these on.
$49.50. HERE.)



8. FOR THE ARTSY ROCKER...OR ROCKIN' ARTIST
(Sex, drugs, and the music business. Well, allriiiight.
$14.86. HERE.)

PLUS

(Get your knit on, indie style.
Wool and the Gang Over My Shoulder knitting kit.
$85. HERE.)



9. FOR ALL THINGS YOUNG AND BRIGHT
(Oh, the glamour. Oh, the fury.
$18.58. HERE.)

PLUS
(All that glitters really is gold.
Sur La Table edible gold powder.
$30. HERE.)



10. FOR THE FRIEND WHO LOVED "BRIDESHEAD REVISITED"
(Love, loss and poetry in WWI England.
$15.74. HERE.)

PLUS

(Haunting. Unforgettable. I own it. I love it.
$11.76. HERE.)



11. FOR THE ENGLISH MAJOR DOWN THE HALL
(A sprawling Victorian novel reimagined for the 21st century.
$16.68. HERE.)

PLUS

(Jo Malone Orange Blossom body lotion.
Morning dew, water lilies and the scent of clementines.
$65.00. HERE.)



12. FOR FERVENT FRANCOPHILES

(Not new, but in my opinion, better than Antonia Fraser's.
$15.44. HERE.)

PLUS
(Mariages Frere Bouddha Bleu tea. With real blue cornflowers in it.
$22.50. HERE.)



13. FOR THE GUY WHO DIGS A GOOD BEAT
(Some things just keep on getting better.
$16.92. HERE.)

PLUS

(Already hailed as the album of 2012. I own it. I love it.
$10.99. HERE.)



14. FOR LIBERTINES EVERYWHERE
(Gotta love Pepys. He was brave enough to say it out loud.
$12.00. HERE.)

PLUS

(Set of three Serena and Lily inlay cheese knives.
$38.00. HERE.)


AND/OR

(Drunken goat cheese from Dean and Deluca.
$18.00. HERE.)



15. FOR LOVERS OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN
(Having grown up in Scandinavia, this is so on my wish list.
$18.45. HERE.)

PLUS

(Iittala Taika dinner plate.
$40. HERE.)



16. FOR THE HUMBUGGER
(You think things are bad now? Louisa Gradgrind would beg to disagree.
$11.64. HERE.)

PLUS

(A dash of bitters.
Cardamom, chocolate, grapefruit, lavender, celery, orange.
$15.95 each. HERE.)



17. FOR CAMPY NEO VICTORIANS
(With incredible illustrations by Donald Urquhart -- Bette Davis as Becky Sharp!
$26.40. HERE.)

PLUS

(Set of three Thackeray-approved teas from Fortnum and Mason, est.1707.
$38.95. HERE.)



18. FOR THE PERSON IN YOUR LIFE MOST LIKELY TO RUN OFF TO ITALY
(The NYT Book Review said:
"Provokes indecorous involuntary laughter;
"John Waters crossed with David Sedaris."
$10.17. HERE.)

PLUS


(The one and only.
Aromatic, spirited, feisty.
$27.99. HERE.)


19. FOR THE WORLDLY TRAVELLER

(Loyalty, passion and exoticism in war-torn Africa. $14.81. HERE.)

PLUS
(Handwoven by village women in Tanzania.
$64.50. HERE.)



20. FOR THE SOCIAL SYBARITE
(Free on Kindle. HERE.)

PLUS

(1.7 oz. eau de parfum, $95. HERE.)

29 comments:

the quarter rat said...

I LOVED Cooking with Fernet Branca - the title alone was enough to hook me (I happen to love F-B). I lent the book to a foodie friend who had bad dreams about the recipes.

Terra said...

These are appreciated and intriguing suggestions. Thanks.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I don't know what it says about me -but I want everything on the list. LOL Great job!
I am addicted to mariage freres and will be in Paris next week. I've never tried that Boudda Bleu but will definitely check it out!

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions :)

24 Corners said...

Okay...this is now *my* Christmas list...I'm sure the Addidas and the cap come in larger sizes so they're staying on the list! Sending this one around to family & friends as the perfect hint-hint...you're the best little Elffette Lisa!
xoxox J~

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Wonderful!!
I'll take numbers 2, 5, and 11.
And Lord, I do love those pears!

Beautiful Things - Cathy said...

What a wonderful list! Is it wrong to want everything for myself?

Miss Bibliophile said...

Fantastic pairings! This is my favorite gift guide that I've seen so far this season.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have a few thing on that list, now all I have to do is getting the matching side kicks!

Thank you!

PS: Especially the children's books are the ones I adore too!
Did you see Wonderstruck?

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Your taste in Lit is stellar!
......makes me positive the orange blossom lotion , tea and other non reads are top shelf too.

Laura Trevey said...

I have not seen those gold clogs ~ Love them. Also, great selection of books!!

Blue Turtle said...

Excellent! These are the best list for gifts under $100. Thanks for sharing and for the effort of researching.

jeavon @ Home Designer

DM said...

I love number 10! and as someone who at the moment has a fernet branca headache as we speak (it's the sant'ambrogio festival) I'm especially keen on 18!

I wish we were related! You could teach us all some lessons.

Shoshana B said...

In honor of the Stephen Jones Hat show at Bard Graduate Center, I'm pairing
http://www.amazon.com/Hats-Anthology-Stephen-Jones/dp/1851775579
with a simple cloche for my sister-in-law.

Emily said...

I can't wait to get my hands on some of this stuff!
Seriously, you just helped me with two gift ideas for my hubby!

Hausfrau said...

Okay, you've obviously been reading my mind! For example: I just bought "Wildwood" for my son, and he got a pair of Gazelles the other day. I've been wanting the Oberto Gili book for a while--hmmm. I'll be adding "The Eustace Diamond" to my Kindle in a few minutes. Thank you for all of these fantastic recommendations!

Juliann said...

What a brilliant, idiosyncratic list! Just went and purchased 3 of the books (1 for me, 2 for them).

Although I have been remiss in leaving comments -- I love your blog, your eye, your voice.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

jm

The Buzz Blog @ Diane James Home said...

I am going crosseyed with all of the gift lists online but yours gets me out of the gift-giving doldrums! I just finished Alexandra Fuller's book (LOVE!) and have put Cooking with Fernet Branca on my hold list at the library. Thanks for the inspirations, Cynthia

noreen said...

i love that you recommended so many books! the mysterious benedict society is a good set. i've read the first one and my children enjoy it, too. also i appreciate that you share things you already own and recommend. thanks!

helen tilston said...

Helllo Lisa

You are the perfect personal shopper anyone could ask for.

I love several items and have just ordered them. You have saved me a journey to the dreaded mall.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Helen xx

Anonymous said...

Oh how we love Downton! One of my favorite shows ever made.
Is it bad that I'll be keeping this list to shop for myself for the next year or so?

Miss Cavendish said...

My son, age 6, soccer powerhouse, totes vouches for the Adidas. He has a pair of Sambas in that colourway.

teaorwine said...

Michael Pollan's Food Rules (with the pea pod cover)was added to each Christmas stocking in my house last year. Love the latest edition and the Maira Kalman art!

nonnyw said...

fabulous, original, inexpensive yet glam
thank you for sharing these ideas and the generosity in curating such a thoughtful list

Anonymous said...

i look forward to harry & david pears every year!! i'm glad i'm not the only one.

Oh - Fancy That.

the designers muse said...

Great ideas...especially the books.

Reyes said...

Love them all! Some I own, some were already on my wish list and the rest have just joined it. Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare such a wonderful selection! Merry Christmas, Reyes XXX

Unknown said...

Wow. What a lovely gift list. I'm impressed. Wonderful finds.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin