Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Desirous

de-sir-ous
adjective [predic.]
having or characterized by desire: Despite her laudable intention to be content in the moment, the blogger was desirous of obtaining all of the following items immediately.

The act of wanting simplifies everything. Suddenly you have a clear focus of attention. Motivation soars. Priorities rearrange themselves. A Gollum-like voice suddenly asserts itself: "Must have the Precious."

Herewith, my top five obsessions this week:


1.

What: Achingly lovely original watercolor paintings by Etsy artist Gollybard.


Why: Wonderfully Edward Bawden/Paul Nash/Edward Ravilious in style; rural talismans worked in a delicate and sophisticated palette.

Rationalization for purchase: This woman is bound to be discovered soon by a big art illustration agency and then her prices will skyrocket.


($68, available here)



($80, available here)


2.

What: MZ Wallace ikat handbag.


Why: Because I love me some ikat something fierce.

Rationalization for purchase: It's the perfect summer bag. It has loads of interior pockets, the multicolor print hides dirt, it's great for traveling and is such a distinctive-looking creature that it kind of works with everything.

(Ikat pillow from Eric Cohler's apartment, via Elle Decor)

($345, available here)



(As worn by my chic friend blogger/fashion editor Suze Yalof Schwartz)


3.

What: Suzani ribbon.


Why: Because it's elegant, it's woven satin jacquard and I've never seen anything like it.

Rationalization for purchase: I can wrap my gifts in inexpensive brown paper and let the ribbon steal the show.


(Brown wrapping paper. Available everywhere.)

($8/yard, available here)

($8/yard, available here)

($8/yard, available here)


4.

What: Penguin "English Journeys" series.


Why: Because they're a whole lot cheaper than summer flights to the Cotswolds.

Rationalization for purchase: They're little treasures of Brit lit with covers as lyrical as the prose inside.


(Find out how Wordsworth's sister spent her days.
£4.99. Available here.)


(Sussex Pond pudding, among other delicacies.
£4.99. Available here.)

(Gossip, raffish lords and Knole sofas.
£4.99. Available here.)


5.

What: Customize your very own chocolate bar.


Why: Didn't you hear what I said? Customize your own chocolate bar. Choose a premium chocolate and dozens of mix-ins, including (but not limited to) hazelnuts, almonds, edamame, flax seeds, crystallized rose petals, lavender, gold flakes, cardamom, cinnamon, hot chipotle peppers and many more.

Rationalization for purchase: Staple for survival.




30 comments:

TSL said...

I'm all about the chocolate bar.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Lisa you are good! Will add them all to my list of 'desirables'. If that is a misuse of our English language I don't want to be right. Sorry I've been M.I.A., glad to sneak in some time to read your terrific blog.

Hope all is very well?

Deb ( :

Karena said...

Really great wants on your list girl and I too love them all!

Karena
Art by Karena

pve design said...

Are you kidding me, I desire you to be my personal shopper with flair and style!
pve

Gaby said...

I'll cast my vote for the Dorothy Wordsworth's Grasmere and Alfoxden journals any day! I wrote my thesis on her travel writing -- "Recollections of a Tour Made in Scotland" is filled with the lovely lochs and bonny dales of the Highlands!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You are Killin' Me!!!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

Beautiful ribbon is always a desired here.....and the other items are great finds too. I downloaded your friends book the other day and am enjoying it so I do listen to you! XO

Suze Yalof Schwartz said...

Lisa - You ROCK!!!! tThank you so much - Your blog is so amazing and you should be the fashion editor! xoxo Suze

donna baker said...

I need the ikat bag and the English Journeys series, which I haven't heard of before. Thank you for the head's up and it is lovely to be able to shop from your blog.

24 Corners said...

Penguin books + chololate = happy camper!

Fun fun post!!!

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

LISA-

More than fabulous. So original and witty.
I also loved and adored your scamper around Provence last week. Perfect post. More than.

cheers...happy days, DIANE
www.thestylesaloniste.com

Felicity said...

Hey Lisa,
Thank you for introducing me to the truly lovely work of Gollybard. I flew straight over to her etsy store and am completely enamoured.
The nest image that you posted is so aligned to my blog but couldn't find it, just goes to prove that the early bird really does get the nest!
x Felicity

Unknown said...

grrr, why did you tell me about this chocolate bar company...will try now very hard to pretend I never heard nor knew about this!

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Felicity: Bummer about the nest being snapped up...it was there when I posted about it. But there were some other gorgeous ones too, I thought?

The Zhush: Oh, I know. I deliberated about revealing such an instant addiction to people. But I figured if I was going to be hooked, we should ALL be hooked! :)

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

DIane Dorrans Saeks: I've been thinking about you lately. Must click over and get your Paris lowdown -- can't wait to hear about all you did! xx

Hausfrau said...

I want those English Journeys books! Oh, and the chocolate...

Unknown said...

I am having what she is having....

LOVE YOUR LIST!

XX
V.

Lou Archer said...

Good. I can shop vicariously through you... though strike number 4; as I've just moved house from the English Cotswolds ...

Miss Cavendish said...

I have bought many a ribbon from lfn textiles. They are works of art in miniature.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Miss Cavendish: Ooh, I love that you've vetted them...thank you for telling us all that!

Fabulously French said...

Fabulous post. Love the chocolate idea and I am a brown paper lover :-)

LKeeann x

Young at Heart said...

yes....I want!!

Angie Muresan said...

Love the ikat bag! I want one too.

Miss Whistle said...

Yes, yes, yes! I want the English Journeys books. Too good.
xx Miss W

Julie Anne Rhodes said...

Gollum whispers much more economically in your ear than mine... I'm still pining for one of your embroideries and a Canon xsi with macro lens.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

totally in love with 1,2 &3.

1. i agree, must go check out before someone discovers her

2. always up for a fabulous bag, but an ikat fabulous bag, my word!

3. head over heels with the idea, and so in love with the suzani i got from uzbekistan that i can see this ribbon on all my xmas gifts this year.

v.cool treasures, thanks

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Julie Anne: You are TOO funny! xx

holly aka golly said...

Lisa, Such a treat to be featured on your amazing blog! You have a wonderful style! Many thanks! Holly

p.s. I sent you an email ; )

123 said...

Now there are several ugg boots online store providing ugg at different prices. Meanwhile the quality of the uggs is different. It will be a bad experience to buy inferior ugg classic mini boots at high prices. Everyone wants to have a pair of genuine sheepskin ugg mini boots in winter or summer. However not everyone is lucky to get top quality ugg mini at reasonable prices.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin