Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hail Britannia, Part Three

Tube stop:  Russell Square

Destination: Coram's Fields / Persephone Books

I was struck by these tiles at Russell Square, and it turns out that Leslie Green, the fellow who designed the Gloucester Tube station (mentioned in my first "Hail Britannia" post) designed this one as well. He cleverly gave each station its own distinctive color scheme and tiling pattern to make it quickly recognizable to commuters. So smart.

Exiting the station, Luca and I stopped at a street corner to figure out how to get to Lamb's Conduit Street. As I was puzzling over my map, a voice called out to me and I turned to see a gentleman with his head out a window.
"Excuse me.  Can I possibly assist you with directions?" he enquired.  I was so touched. He was like a Dickens character come to life: twinkling eyes, cheery demeanor, kindly smile. When I asked him if I could take his photo, he giggled and said, "Am I going to be famous now?"  It's memories like this that I file away for a rainy day.  I never found out his name, but he is forever known to me as "Mr. Cheeryble", one of the benevolent characters from "Nicholas Nickleby."

Luca and I had one important stop to make before I took him on my pilgrimage to Persephone Books:  Coram's Fields.

Located on the grounds of an 18th century foundling hospital for abandoned children, it boasts seven acres of grass, trees, climbing structures, wading pools and a petting zoo. 

I knew that before I could expect Luca to keep his limbs still inside the teeny-tiny Persephone Books, I needed him to run/climb/swing off some of that boy energy.

He did. Over and over and over again.

After that, it was just a couple of hundred yards to my favorite publisher in London. You all know about Persephone Books, right? They reprint forgotten classics by twentieth century (mostly women) writers. In their words, "Persephone Books are guaranteed to be readable, thought-provoking and impossible to forget."

Their titles include novels, short stories, diaries and cookery books, all beautifully designed with a clear typeface, dove-grey jacket, "fabric" endpaper and matching bookmark. 

I have purchased about eight titles so far, mostly online. But nothing compares to visiting the shop. The books are lovingly arranged on the shelves with their stunning endpapers on colorful display.  
If you can't drop everything and rush here right away, their website is a wonderful substitute until you can.  It features a complete online catalog, author bios, book reviews, archived issues of their Quarterly magazine, as well as a fortnightly letter from the publisher. 

Tube stop: Oxford Circus

Destination: Liberty and Company

Yes, I know I've blogged about this store recently, but I haven't actually been there in a year and I desperately wanted to see what fabulous new wares they were offering.  

Come inside with me.

Just inside the front door, this zebra stopped me in my tracks. I love the juxtaposition of the taxidermy with the soft textiles and that wall of art, all in white frames. It's romantic and edgy at the same time: Colette meets Isak Dinesen.

On the next floor up, we were greeted by a Busby Berkeley row of mannequins wearing an assemblage of spring couture. The ceiling above them goes up four storeys, and I was bound and determined not to rest until I'd explored every square inch.

Up another floor, and I spotted this delightful display of Penguin ware. Mugs, notebooks, every accessory an inveterate booklover needs. To me, there is inspiration in everything: here, I found the cobalt blue wall against all the orange refreshingly upbeat. 

Are you gasping yet? I was when I saw this cozy nook. I love the unabashed irreverence in grouping all these diverse textile patterns together. It's "Gardens Gone Wild."
If you can imagine, this is a quilt comforter from this season's new homewares line. It's a printed illustration of the Liberty storefront. Opened up, it makes quite a statement and it was so, so soft. Silk, I think. Silk-ish, anyway.

Keep climbing with me. We have now reached the Haberdashery floor. They were about to begin a knitting session at that round table when I approached. I used to haunt this section when I lived here and go home with bags of embroidery floss in gorgeous hues that would set my head spinning.  

Here's a sampling of Liberty prints from their renowned line. The entire floor was bulging with them, but I didn't want anyone to faint from overstimulation, so I offer you just a small dose here. Oh, the colors! Oh, the possibilities!

I was struck by this wonderful version of their peacock print fabric on this mannequin. I find the colorway to be extremely modern although the pattern is firmly rooted in tradition. Again, it's the visual tension between new and old that makes it work for me.

We're on the top floor now. Look around. In front of you is this grouping of "royalist" pillows, all of them made from vintage textiles. Love. But then you knew I would.

I own a suzani exactly like this that I bought on Ebay. Currently, it's just lying at the foot of my bed like a jetlagged dilettante. I love that instead of upholstering the entire chair, the designer used strategically placed pieces of fabric. Even the accent pillow is part of the pattern.

Here's another chair that uses pieces of ikat fabric to create a bold statement. You can find ikats on Ebay for reasonable prices. I also happen to have a serious crush on all of Robert Kime's ikat patterns. They are costly, but if you upholster a chair in this fashion, you wouldn't need endless yardage.

Liberty never fails to have a couple cheeky pieces that completely shake up your definitions of what furniture should be. Luca was obsessed with this pencil eraser chair. 
It was surprisingly comfortable.

Along one side of the top floor are multiple little ateliers, showcasing fabrics and decorative items for the home.  You can step up into a delightful little room and get down to brass tacks...or furnishing fabrics, as the case may be. 

Now you're standing with me looking down into the four-storey atrium. It's like a miniature city below you, isn't it? As if someone has peeled back the walls of a fabulous organism housing only beauty and joy.

After all this excitement, Luca suggested we repair to the ground floor tearoom to partake of some liquid refreshment.  (His actual words may have been "Mom, I'm thirsty.")

His tea was milky and weak. Mine was lemony and strong.  There were two or three (or four) sugary-type treats ingested as well.  

The tearoom chairs were upholstered in this Liberty peacock pattern. Again, it's the fearless pattern that gets me every time.  

Our heads spinning with design inspiration (well, mine anyway; Luca's was immersed in "Beast Quest 2"), we emerged onto Regent Street and were greeted by a high-gloss London night.

My little man strode ahead of me, completely at ease in this bustling metropolis...
...wearing his newfound confidence like a Savile Row suit. 

22 comments:

Lee said...

Oh my, what a post! Persephone Books and Liberty all in one go - it sounds like a heavenly way to spend the day. I have been reading your Hail Britannia posts closely as I have a young son & I know that he would like many of the same things as Luca. Thank you so much for the travel inspiration. I can't wait for the next installation!

pve design said...

Sitting like a good pup. Humble. Waiting for what treat might be tossed my way. I beg for crumbs, books, tea. Give me liberty.
Oh, I am in heavenly bliss.

Meg said...

Gorgeous! I could just crawl into Liberty, pitch a tent, and never leave. I was there right before Christmas and noticed those suzani and ikat covered chairs, upholstered so interestingly! I can't believe they are still there! I love London, these Britannia posts are making me drool!

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Lee: There are more good kid tips coming up...!

PVE Design: Your comment is pure poetry.

Meg: I love anyone who understands my Liberty obsession. How funny that you saw those chairs too!

Style Court said...

Lisa -- Where to begin?

So much to take in here. The textiles and books are just too much. It's been a treat enjoying this virtual vacation all week. Thanks for all the details.

Susan's Snippets said...

Lisa -

As with the others, I, too, sit drooling....blissfully awaiting more.

I need to know WHY in Chicago can we not have such elegance and style in our shops?

the table at tea was tops

Sarah said...

Beautiful photos!!!♥

Anonymous said...

This post almost made me cry.....The ravishment is soooo contagious, the enthusiasm in which you write. Could you make a trip around the world perhaps any time soon?? ;-)))

Anzu said...

What a lovely post! Although I live in London it is so nice to see it through your eyes. Not sure how long you are over for, but things I would recommend if you haven't been arleady would be Sir John Soane's Museum, on a nice day Petersham nurseries in Richmond for lunch followed by a walk up the river to Kew and a visit to the Marianne North galleries, or on a rainy day the Egyptian rooms in the British Museum followed by wonton noodle soup in Chinatown. And for English food Andrew Edmonds in Soho, The Golden Hind Marylebone for Fish and chips and Claridges or the Berkeley for afternoon tea!

Anonymous said...

Tea at Liberty was a Saturday treat for us after a long morning of shopping with my mum. Im so glad Luca got to experience it! Persephone is amazing and I have gone overweight on suitcases because of them quite a few times!!

Tricia said...

Simply, thank you. Sigh.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such deliciousness!! Liberty. My favourite store in the world. Thank you soooooo much for this springtime visit!! I sooooo needed a bit of London.

custardbydesign said...

you certainly got about London...i got lost in that store for hours last time i was in London...its great isnt it!

Unknown said...

My dear! I am so tickled that you are going to the same places in London that we went in November--right down to Waterstone's.

DENNIS SEVERS' HOUSE!

If you haven't been there and it fits into your schedule (it is only open a couple of times a month) you must go there. Dennis was an American who lived in London all of his adult life, bought a wreck of an 18th c house in Spitalfields (about 4 blocks from Liverpool Station), and furnished it as if it were the 18th century--inhabitants and all. This house is time travel. The most magical, not house museum, but living house of the past in the world. As he said, "you either see it or you don't." I think you will see it.

In the main bedroom, behind a screen, is a man's jacket hanging. I saw it and thought that it was a docent's. No, it was Dennis Severs'. He is still in his house although he died in 1999.

www.dennissevershouse.co.uk

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Linda: I'm back in LA now, but am freaking out about that house. I think I've seen it in magazines...but the idea of seeing it in person is making me hyperventilate. THANK YOU. It's DEFINITELY a stop on my next trip to London!

Miss Cavendish said...

Thank you for the peek into my beloved Liberty! A few years back my then-almost-two-year-old daughter and I would wake up in our lodging near Regent's Park and make a determined march to Liberty, crossing Cavendish Square (or Place; I forget), of course. We also spent many an afternoon at Coram's Fields. Sounds like a delightful visit.

we could grow up 2gether said...

uber sweet images, all of them

CashmereLibrarian said...

I'm waiting for my first Persephone book, "A Very Great Profession," to be delivered.
Thank you for the gorgeous travelogue. I'm enjoying every minute!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Magical!

Erin Lepperd said...

Too cute for words...lucky mom

StuckInABook said...

Everything about this post is delicious! I wouldn't know where to start, other than to say that someone needs to leave me some money so that I can buy every single item you've photographed.

angela said...

What a wonderful tour of Liberty of London, I would lobe to go there some day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin