Friday, February 6, 2009

Embroidery: The Lord's Prayer


("The Lord's Prayer", embroidery floss on burlap,
38 in. high by 32 in. wide)
*click to enlarge*


As you can no doubt surmise from reading it, I cross-stitched this sampler in the heyday of the 1990's, when dotcom start-ups were sprouting millionaires overnight and our nation's giddy prosperity showed no signs of a slowdown.  (Just writing those words feels like I'm describing a time long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.)  I was living in London and just about to move to Los Angeles.  The dollar was strong, the pound was weak and the It Bag was the ne plus ultra of accessories.  And as much as it pains me to admit it now, I was a chick obsessed.  We all were a bit, though, weren't we? I was never as bad as Carrie on "Sex and the City" with her $50,000 shoe addiction, but I don't even want to think how far the money I hemorrhaged on designer purses would have gone today in off-setting my recent renovation.

I want to believe I'm not like that anymore.  As much as I still gasp, shake and pine for fabulous design, my covetousness has been somewhat tamed.  I still crave luxury, but whereas before I needed one of each, now one will do.  My maternal grandparents, staunch Quakers the both of them, would be proud.

Of course, having said all that, if the Almighty should find a surplus of Prada couture and deign to send it my way, I think it would be terribly ungracious to refuse.

4 comments:

So Lovely said...

Oh Lisa: I was just looking at my VAST array of designer shoes and bags that I have collected over the years, and feeling a little ill. Thank goodness I am not in a corporate environment so much, so its jeans and T-shirts for me now. And the greatest thing is all the Prada, Gucci and Fendi bags and shoes that I have accumulated and been given, are now all back in!

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

So Lovely: I'm hearing you, darling. The second time around is so much sweeter.

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

This is perfect and timely. I think you might do well selling this kit - bad economy - big dreams! Love it.

Anjela's Day said...

Really enjoy reading your blog.
Could you 'advise' me please as to how one could start doing or where one would buy the essentials needed to do cross stitching or embroidery? I used to do pillow cases as a child. Haven't done any embroidering? in ages. I am semi bed-ridden at times and feel this would be a life saver :)
Thanks in anticipation. Your work is beautiful. You have inspired me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin