(Summer night, Michigan, May 2008)
I'm somewhere deep in the heartland of America right now.
Five things I'm definitely not doing:
1. Eating deep-fried cheese.
3. Sitting in a speedboat.
4. Drinking beer.
5. Buying holiday decorations at Frankenmuth Christmas Village.
Four things I might be doing:
2. Watching Luca play with all his curly-headed cousins.
3. Browsing through 19th century tomes with my dad at John King Books.
4. Rocking on a porch swing at my mom's house and marvelling at the white nights of summer.
Two things I hope I've done:
1. Successfully persuaded one and all to come visit us in California.
2. Remembered that when it comes to family dynamics, I can be right or I can be happy, and being right is overrated.
Home on Thursday.